Saturday, November 16, 2013

Blast from the Past #670: Sketchbook page 13, Foot ninja design

Here on page 13 of the sketchbook, I was playing around with yet another variation of the basic Foot soldier design. This one has some more body armor and tech bits, though I don't recall what, specifically, these pieces were intended to do.





 Like the previous page, this one was drawn in photoblue pencil, making it difficult to see the lines. So I worked with it a bit in Photoshop to darken it up. What looks like spatter in the lower left hand corner is actually just an artifact of the photography and the Photoshop manipulation -- I think it was originally a slight shadow on the page. -- PL

5 comments:

  1. COWABUNGA!
    I figure now (or was it a handful of days earlier?) may be the right time to ask:
    Do you recall on which date back in November of 1983 that Mr Eastman first sketched his 'Ninja Turtle'?
    It would be radical to know when the 30th Anniversary Shell-ebration truly begins :)
    Thank you in advance for your reply,
    Chet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall which day it was, exactly. It's possible that one or both of us wrote it down somewhere, perhaps in a letter to family or friends, but as of this moment I can't say. I would not be at all surprised if such a record does not exist -- it's important to remember that at the time that Kevin drew that first Ninja Turtle, it had no particular importance to either of us beyond being a momentarily amusing notion. -- PL

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sir, for your reply.
      And, in the absence of a specific date, I'll simply take this present opportunity to type that my gratitude to you for your Co-Creations is like Sharpie marker ink; permanent. And, I would love to greet you and say "thank you" in person, at Shellback Artworks on FCBD 2015. It is my sincere hope that by the time I venture from Australia to the US in approximately 17 months that you will be shellebrating the fandom at Mr Lavignes store. Your reply would be of extraordinary assistance in drafting my Itinerary; an additional thanks for letting me know. Thank you for being more than momentarily amused; for adding 'Teenage Mutant' to his caption, and for EVERYTHING that has followed :)

      Delete
    3. I don't really know what I will be doing seventeen months from now, but if I make a plan to be at Shellback Artworks, I will definitely post news about it here as soon as possible. -- PL

      Delete
    4. Sir
      Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you
      (one per Turtle)
      Your fan,
      Chet

      Delete